Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2014 10:59:45 -0700
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best branch for bhyve on AMD?

On Feb 12, 2014, at 10:31 AM, Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi John,
>=20
>> Am I right in thinking that bhyve support for AMD processors is not
>> yet in -STABLE?
>=20
> Yes, that's correct.
>=20
>> If so, is there working code for bhyve under AMD anywhere? Where?
>> -HEAD, projects/bhyve_svm or somewhere else?
>=20
> projects/bhyve_svm
>=20
>> Is it considered experimental, stable, or something in between?
>=20
> I'd home somewhere on the stable side of experimental. I've had good =
success with it on a Phenom II, but looks like at least 1 user has had =
issues.
>=20
>> Should  it work with the above processor?
>=20
> I think your model may be predate the h/w nested paging support that =
bhyve relies on (EPT, or RVI in early AMD terminology). The list of AMD =
CPUs with RVI is at:
>=20
> =
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU120AMDRVICPUsHyperVWin8.=
aspx
>=20
> ... and the Athlon 64 X2 isn't on that list :(

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, it looks like only K10-ish and newer =
have RVI, and my Brisbane is the last of the K8s. Bummer. I'll have to =
see if my board will take a newer processor. :)

JN