Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2014 15:48:08 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Allan Jude <freebsd@allanjude.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw: fetch doesn't reach ftp://fttp.sites.foo

--Sig_/pKPYJJIT5w7lfo76ErFdKjq

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 17:51:11 -0500
Allan Jude <freebsd@allanjude.com> wrote:

> On 2014-03-07 16:55, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 15:33:39 -0500
> > Allan Jude <freebsd@allanjude.com> wrote:
> >=20

NAT. As long as

> >> What error does fetch give? Is it having problems with DNS, connection
> >> to the FTP site, or just making the FTP DATA connection? Have you tried
> >> with 'passive' mode on/off?
> >>
> > The box doesn't have problems contacting any DNS.
> >=20
> > Fetch gives the shown "errors" or simple timeouts.  Either manually or =
via portmaster
> > to update ports like the one shown below.
> >=20
> > The very same port has no problems on the system having pf instead of i=
pfw.
> >=20
> > I will switch back to pf on the box in question to check whether the ch=
oice of
> > firewall really makes the difference.
> >=20
> > This is what I get when seeting passive mode (it doesn't change anythin=
g from "active"
> > mode):
> >=20
> > root@thor: [pciids] setenv FTP_PASSIVE_MODE YES
> >=20
> > root@thor: [pciids] make fetch
> > =3D=3D=3D>  License BSD3CLAUSE GPLv2 GPLv3 accepted by the user
> > =3D=3D=3D>   pciids-20140301 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - fou=
nd
> > =3D> pciids-20140301.tar.xz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfil=
es/.
> > =3D> Attempting to fetch
> > http://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pciids=
-20140301.tar.xz
> > fetch:
> > http://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pciids=
-20140301.tar.xz:
> > Not Found =3D> Attempting to fetch
> > ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pciids-=
20140301.tar.xz
> > fetch:
> > ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pciids-=
20140301.tar.xz:
> > No route to host =3D> Attempting to fetch
> > ftp://ftp.se.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pcii=
ds-20140301.tar.xz
> > fetch:
> > ftp://ftp.se.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pcii=
ds-20140301.tar.xz:
> > No route to host =3D> Attempting to fetch
> > ftp://ftp.uk.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pcii=
ds-20140301.tar.xz
> > fetch:
> > ftp://ftp.uk.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pcii=
ds-20140301.tar.xz:
> > No route to host =3D> Attempting to fetch
> > ftp://ftp.ru.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/sunpoet/pcii=
ds-20140301.tar.xz
> > fetch: transfer timed out
> >=20
>=20
> 'no route to host' suggests it might be trying to do ipv6
>=20

This phenomenon is "funny".

Days ago, that was around this net/route.c (-r262780) issue reported here, =
I could reach
from the specific box in question FTP sites as well as http://adswww.harvar=
d.edu which I
contact freuently for literature search. Even this specific site can't be r=
eached via
browser, nor traceroute, nor ping. The gateway (also FreeBSD, same CURRENT,=
 but with "pf"
instead "ipfw", but that doesn't matter as a change to the once-working con=
fig revealed)
can.