Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 2016 03:04:55 +1100
From:      Kubilay Kocak <koobs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>, python@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: lowercase requirement for py-ports (Re: svn commit: r405240 - in head/devel: . py-PyLD)

On 5/01/2016 2:54 AM, Mikhail T. wrote:
> On 04.01.2016 10:23, Kubilay Kocak wrote:
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Python/PortsPolicy [...] Feedback very welcome.
>>
> Well, you asked for it... I propose removing the lowercase-requirement.
> Instead, the portname should match the capitalization found in PyPi.
> This will better match the current practice and may even avoid some
> future naming conflict.
>
> Of course, it is likely, you've already discussed this -- if so, please,
> send me a link to the discussion's archive. Thank you!
>
>     -mi

No discussion archive, but also PyPI is case insensitive.

FWIW, some of the current practice also includes arbitrarily changing
the names/versions, missing prefixes/suffixed (causing known conflicts),
among other non-standard things. My guess is also that multi-case ports
are in the minority.

Having said that feedback is welcome as mentioned, so thanks for posting :)

./koobs
Python