Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 17:12:46 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Bill Trost <trost@cloud.rain.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Subject: [Laptop Survey] Sony Vaio PCG-505G

> Tony Li writes:
>     |   I am using commercial laptop X server from XiG (www.xig.com)
>     |  which supports NeoMagic just fine FWIW.
>
>     As am I, however, I was trying to avoid giving them a plug.
>
> With good reason -- I sent them repeated emails asking questions
> about their support for the Fujitsu 635Tx and never got back a useful
> response.  Now that I can run XFree86 in 800x600x16, there's no reason
> for me to contact them.  I guess my business just isn't that important
> to them.

It is generally possible to get reasonable answers out of them, but
their dedication to actually supporting even medium-sized customers is
notably absent.

We (my previous employer) were buying AX at about one copy a month, and
also bundling LX with laptops that we were selling to customes for
portable data analysis.  We had major problems with both their Cirrus
754x support (for the laptops) and palette rubbish (on the Matrox
Millenium).  In both cases, they didn't give any impression of being
interested in actually exerting any effort to fix the problem.