Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 13:53:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: PCVT's death

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> "Hey, Hellmuth, don't you think it's time to update pcvt and better
> integrate it into FreeBSD?" :-)

Thanks for asking that question, Jordan! :-)

Yes, i think the time has come to do something, but you know, i'm currently
putting all my spare time into this ISDN project, and as soon as this has
settled a bit, i'll work on updating pcvt and better integrate it into
FreeBSD, ok ? ;-)

> Even better, do you have any areas in which you'd like some help?

The best thing were a framework for handling lowlevel keyboard stuff, video
stuff, (for those who want it) mouse stuff and X11 stuff in which all sorts
of emulations and fancy things can live. The great unified console driver we
talk about since 386BSD. This would mean that all the nitty-gritty stuff would
be done only once and not duplicated in all drivers and one could really
concentrate on the emulation.

That would be the greatest help, right now i have no more ideas simply because
i live in an ISDN stack currently.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
  A duck is like a bicycle because they both have two wheels except the duck