Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 06:41:26 -0600
From:      Joe Warner <jswarner@uswest.net>
To:        Groupcolby@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request info

--------------11E129C473808B3CF653A240

This is the only newsletter that I know
about-->http://www.freebsd.org/register.html, though I don't think it's geared
specifically towards newbies.  You may want to start
here--->http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html  Also, in response to your
question re: BSD, I'm quoting the first paragraph from p. xxix of The Complete
FreeBSD by Greg Lehey:  "FreeBSD is a high-performance operating system derived
from the Berkeley Software Distribution, or BSD, the version of UNIX developed at
the University of California at Berkeley between 1975 and 1993.  FreeBSD is not a
UNIX clone.  Historically and technically, it has greater rights than UNIX System
V to be called UNIX.  Legally, it may not be called UNIX, since UNIX is now a
registered trade mark of The Open Group."

Joe

Groupcolby@aol.com wrote:

> Hi - I am a newbie (newbie-newbie), does your organization have a newsletter
> for newbies like me? If so, how do I sign up? One last Question: What does
> "BSD" stand for?  I found out about you through a search that said your
> system is used to run MSN - Hotmail.com.  To me this makes your system better
> than MS.
>
> Thank You
> Jim Colby
> Groupcolby@aol.com
> and/or
> Jimmy2741@hotmail.com

--------------11E129C473808B3CF653A240

This is the only newsletter that I know about--><A HREF="http://www.freebsd.org/register.html">http://www.freebsd.org/register.html</A>,
though I don't think it's geared specifically towards newbies.&nbsp; You
may want to start here---><A HREF="http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html">http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html</A>&nbsp;
Also, in response to your question re: BSD, I'm quoting the first paragraph
from p. xxix of The Complete FreeBSD by Greg Lehey:&nbsp; "FreeBSD is a
high-performance operating system derived from the <i>Berkeley Software
Distribution, </i>or BSD, the version of UNIX developed at the University
of California at Berkeley between 1975 and 1993.&nbsp; FreeBSD is not a
UNIX clone.&nbsp; Historically and technically, it has greater rights than
UNIX System V to be called UNIX.&nbsp; Legally, it may not be called UNIX,
since UNIX is now a registered trade mark of The Open Group."
have a newsletter
does
said your
system better