Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2013 09:59:26 +0200
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
Cc:        Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net>, d@delphij.net, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org Hackers" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Puppet Master <pmaster@mindslayer.net>
Subject:   Re: FoxPro on FreeBSD

On 24 Oct 2013, at 08:37, Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2013, at 12:54 AM, Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net> wrote:
>=20
>> On 10/23/13, 8:32 PM, Kevin Day wrote:
>>> I did some debugging, and watched how the process was getting
>>> launched, and I've managed to get it to load!
>>>=20
>>> The problem was that COFF files expect to be mapped into memory at
>>> address 0, something that processes are no longer allowed to do.
> Nothing is returning any errors, but the .text session isn=92t getting =
mapped to the desired location (0x0). If map_at_zero is set to 0, the =
process=92s vm_map has min_offset set to PAGE_SIZE instead of 0.=20
> Also to clarify my original posting, COFF itself isn=92t the issue =
here, just that this specific binary wants its .text section to begin at =
a virtual address below 0x1000.=20

Thanks for getting to the bottom of this - may be good to indeed make =
the error a lot more human readable - I had the same issue with an old =
modified RSA BSafe library - and spend ages looking in the wrong place =
for that sigfault.

Dw.=