Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:36:13 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@theinternet.com.au>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: devfs deficiencies (was: devfs and Vinum (was: any -current && vinum problems?))

On Thursday, 16 August 2001 at  6:36:45 +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20010816094735.F49989@wantadilla.lemis.com>, Greg Lehey writes:
>> On Wednesday, 15 August 2001 at 19:17:47 +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>>> There is support for subdirectories:
>>>
>>> 	ls -la /dev/fd
>>
>> What am I supposed to see there?  I get three character devices, all
>> mounted on /dev directly.
>
> Uhm, have you forgotten how ls(1) works ?

No.

> Try this then:
>
> 	ls -lad /dev/fd /dev/fd/[012]

Hmm.  Strange.  Last time I looked, I thought I had /dev/fd0, /dev/fd1
and /dev/fd2.  But I've booted a new kernel since that attempt.

>> In view of the fact that this thread is about deficiencies in your
>> devfs, this is particularly uncalled for.  One of the reasons that
>> Julian's devfs never got debugged was that you had made it very clear
>> from the start that it would be removed.
>
> History being rewritten eh ?  I spent 3+ years trying to argue his
> DEVFS should be made default!

They must have been before I met you, then.  My very vivid
recollection was that I met you at USENIX in New Orleans on 19 June
1998, and the very first thing you said was "What does Vinum do about
DEVFS?  Don't use it, it's going away".  We (you, Justin Gibbs,
Jonathan Bresler, and I, maybe also one other person, but not Julian,
whom you wouldn't let participate) then found an empty room and we
discussed the matter.  It was an interesting first impression.

Greg