Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 15:08:26 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Question about Motif packages

 * SWiM 2.0 makes you set a link from /usr/X386 to /usr/X11R6.  It then uses
 * /usr/X386 in its Install script.  The static libraries and include files
 * then get installed in /usr/X386/lib and /usr/X386/include respectively.
 * This is fine.  But the provided install script also wants to install the
 * shared libraries in /lib; I changed this to be the same as the static libs
 * (/usr/X386/lib = /usr/X11R6/lib).  The Install script has a couple of
 * minor bugs that are easily fixed.

Ok, so if we use /usr/X11R6, we should be fine, right?  I don't think
we are going to worry too much about shared libraries being in /lib,
that's horribly out-of-the-line! ;)

Also, library locations are easily overridable in /etc/make.conf
anyway, so I'll think we'll stick to standard locations for the default.

 * Patching the LOCAL_LIBRARIES to "-lXm -lXt -lX11 -lXext" or to
 * "/usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a -lXt -lX11 -lXext" for dynamic or static should
 * work fine.

Yes.

 * SWiM 2.0 does leave xmkmf alone and does provide a mxmkmf.  They update
 * the lib/X11/config/Imake.tmpl and save the original Imake.tmpl in
 * Imake.tmpl.old

I see.  Let me know if you find something weird in the way that xmkmf
behaves.

 * Do you want the unpatched Install script for SWiM 2.0?

No, I think your explanation above is quite clear. :)

Satoshi