Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:43:55 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make kernel failure: pecoff: machine/lock.h

In message <983320847.3a9c490f92fc0@Mail.MexComUSA.net> Edwin Culp writes:
: I had that, and many other problems, about a week ago and I am not
: sure but i think that I ended up doing an rm -rf /usr/sys/modules/*
: , cvsuped made world and built new kernel with no problem.  I
: remember that I had to erase all the modules directory but I'm not
: comeletely sure that it was this problem.  Sorry, it's old age.

Likely it is stale .depend files in the src/sys/modules hierarchy.
That's why killing it worked.

Warner