Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2022 04:05:18 +0100
From:      Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        Mason Loring Bliss <mason@blisses.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MIDI suggestions?

--0000000000005e0b8105d7004ab1

Here are some MIDI related ports available out of the box on FreeBSD:

https://www.freshports.org/search.php?query=midi&search=go&num=10&stype=name&method=match&deleted=excludedeleted&start=1&casesensitivity=caseinsensitive

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022, 04:03 Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info> wrote:

> I did a MIDI Modullar Controller once myself on 8-bit MCS51 MCU :-) :-)
>
> https://www.tomek.cedro.info/midi-mc/
>
> MIDI uses UART frames with some strange bitrate (~23k I dont remember
> exactly sorry) and current interface unlike voltage one in pc serial port.
> If you have MIDI-TO-USB adapter it may not be different from UART-TO-USB
> adapter with some specific settings. There was a specification out there
> somewhere.
>
> MIDI frame contains "events" like key press note strength, knob number
> value, etc.
>
> But I never used MIDI on FreeBSD sorry. I still have the MIDI MC
> controller but I gave away the MIDI-TO-USB adapter. I am sure that some
> device will show up after you connect the adapter, then you can read the
> frames from drvice and write frames to a device. Then you need some
> software that would allow you to perform your tasks. You may even try to
> write your own tools in Python for easy experimenting.
>
> It should be even possible to use some USB-TO-UART (or better RS485
> current loop interface) with specific settings to talk MIDI.
>
> --
> CeDeROM, SQ7MHZ, http://www.tomek.cedro.info

--0000000000005e0b8105d7004ab1

//www.freshports.org/search.php?query=3Dmidi&amp;search=3Dgo&amp;num=3D10&a=
mp;stype=3Dname&amp;method=3Dmatch&amp;deleted=3Dexcludedeleted&amp;start=
=3D1&amp;casesensitivity=3Dcaseinsensitive">https://www.freshports.org/sear=
ch.php?query=3Dmidi&amp;search=3Dgo&amp;num=3D10&amp;stype=3Dname&amp;metho=
d=3Dmatch&amp;deleted=3Dexcludedeleted&amp;start=3D1&amp;casesensitivity=3D=
uto">--<br>CeDeROM, SQ7MHZ, <a href=3D"http://www.tomek.cedro.info">http://=
iv dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Feb 2, 2022, 04:03 Tomasz CEDRO=
 &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tomek@cedro.info">tomek@cedro.info</a>&gt; wrote:<br=
left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"auto">I did a MIDI Modull=
ar Controller once myself on 8-bit MCS51 MCU :-) :-)<div dir=3D"auto"><br><=
/div><div dir=3D"auto"><a href=3D"https://www.tomek.cedro.info/midi-mc/" ta=
rget=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">https://www.tomek.cedro.info/midi-mc/</a=
with some strange bitrate (~23k I dont remember exactly sorry) and current =
interface unlike voltage one in pc serial port. If you have MIDI-TO-USB ada=
pter it may not be different from UART-TO-USB adapter with some specific se=
ttings. There was a specification out there somewhere.</div><div dir=3D"aut=
key press note strength, knob number value, etc.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br=
ve the MIDI MC controller but I gave away the MIDI-TO-USB adapter. I am sur=
e that some device will show up after you connect the adapter, then you can=
 read the frames from drvice and write frames to a device. Then you need so=
me software that would allow you to perform your tasks. You may even try to=
 write your own tools in Python for easy experimenting.</div><div dir=3D"au=
TO-UART (or better RS485 current loop interface) with specific settings to =
r>CeDeROM, SQ7MHZ, <a href=3D"http://www.tomek.cedro.info" target=3D"_blank=

--0000000000005e0b8105d7004ab1--