Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 21:49:10 +0000
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Voodoo Graphics Cards

"clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com> wrote:

>	As a side note, I have generally had no problems using "unsupported" =
cards.=20
>More often the constraint has been from monitor frequency rates. (My =
last=20
>one would only work in 320x200 mode with the proper vrefresh. However, I=
=20
>knew windows had underclocked the monitor previously, so I didn't think =
it=20
>was too dangerous to go 1 kHz out of spec. I guess I'll see, huh?)

Um, you wouldn't want to be 1kHz out on vrefresh and I think even the =
older
VGA monitors would do 640x480.  60Hz vrefresh works for most (uk, not =
sure
if this applies i13y.), ~85Hz seems flicker free.

Most modern 'digital' monitors would simply goto standby mode if an =
attempt
was made to drive it at refresh rates it couldn't accommodate.

--=20
John.