Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 10:29:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        dfr@render.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp, lite2@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Delayed write patch

> Thanks for the patch.  It improves performance for my SGI from ~720k/sec
> to ~870k/sec.  I modified the patch (and the nfs_dwrite patch) slightly
> and added comments to try to explain what is happening.  Could you check
> the comments to make sure they agree with your understanding of the
> problem and I will commit this patch to current probably tomorrow.

A few more observations.

I did more performance tests with the v2 UDP, as per usual all were not good.
I did notice that the system was being locked out during the tests, but not
solid, I.e. after a few seconds my other transactions (to different NFS hosts)
would make it out and back.

I then switched the TCP v3, this didnt help at first?  After about the third
test everything starting running extremely well, however I do not believe the
results.  After completing my tests I attempted to unmount the sun, no such
luck "device busy".  It took a reboot (which reported "Unabl to unmount") to
clear that up.

Next test, after the clean boot.  CP the netscape binary to the partition, that
worked fine.  However, when I then did an rm on the netscape binary, my system
locked up dead solid.

I think im going to back out those patches :)

-Crh

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich