Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 13:07:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@ravenock.cybercity.dk>
To:        ache@nagual.ru (=?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?=)
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, bde@zeta.org.au, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Syscons screen distortion on Diamond 3D 3000 (S3 Virge/VX)

> Soren, when I move my mouse, my screen trashed a bit causing unpleasant
> visual effects, something (rarely) it happens even without any activity
> (I have distructive cursor).

You mean the display jitters ??

> I suspect it will be fixed if retrace wait will be framed into
> disable_intr/enable_intr, but since I am not shure, I don't experiment
> with it. I remember that some discussion happens on this subject, but not
> remember its result. What possible effects of this change?

If you do this, you will disable interrupts for between 1/60s to 1/70s
which is something you do NOT want to do if you run fx a serial port
at a resonable high speed.

> I think Diamond can't be treated as "obsolete" since it is one of the most
> advanced cards at this moment, so we need to do something with this issue.

I think that all video HW that doesn't allov the font to be reprogammed
on the fly should be shot at dawn :)

I really have no good solution to this, but there is some 80% solutions
which however requires lots of code to do their (miserable) job...
(bruce, want to recap ?)

It is possible to fiddle with the current parameters and get it to
work on most video HW, but when it works for one it fails miserably
for others :(, the current values are the ones that cause the least
troubles on my test HW.

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..