Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 23:52:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Having trouble getting BW quickcam to work on 2.2.6

As Doug White wrote...
> On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a borrowed B/W Quickcam hooked up to my 2.2.6 box (Asus T2P4 mainboard)
> >
> > Boot messages say:
> >
> > sio5: type 16550A (multiport master)
> > qcam0 at 0x378 flags 0x1 on isa
> > qcam0: bidirectional parallel port
> >
> > But:
> >
> > su-2.01# xfqcam
> > Can't find a camera
>
> xfqcam doesn't use the /dev/qcam0 interface, it tries to read/write the
> parallel port directly.  Needless to say the qcam0 driver puts that down.
>
> > ktrace says it has troubles getting to /dev/io (??). qcam and qcamcontrol
> > don't work either
>
> qcamcontrol should work if the camera is actually there.  Since you're
> overriding the detection with flags 0x1, make sure the camera is connected
> to LPT2.

Well it was as stupid as you gonna get: the flatcable on the mainboard was
reversed (....). Now qcamcontrol gives me (bad) pictures. Bad as they look
like a scratched photograph. Strange.

I tried xfqcam (with debug=1) and then you see:

su-2.01# ./xfqcam -p 0x378
cmd = 0xb, value = 0x9d
cmd = 0xb, value = 0x1
cmd = 0xb, value = 0x1
cmd = 0xb, value = 0x9d
cmd = 0xb, value = 0x9d
cmd = 0xb, value = 0x9d
cmd = 0x19, value = 0x20
cmd = 0x1f, value = 0x74
cmd = 0x13, value = 0x50
cmd = 0x11, value = 0xf0
cmd = 0xd, value = 0x1
cmd = 0xf, value = 0x7
cmd = 0x7, value = 0x3
waiting for camera to say "Go!"

Without the -p <port> it fails to find the camera. Is there any preference for
EPP, ECP etc in the parallel port BIOS setting?

I'll do some further experiments.

Wilko