Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:47:10 -0400
From:      "~/.signature" <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

vincent vocalized,

> 	Maybe the Celeron 2 is really just P3's that don't past certain
> tests and instead of putting it in the trash or as problem chips, the
> marketing department thinks of selling it as a lower end CPU.

How many people remember the 2732 and 2764 EPROM's?  (the 32 and
64 refer to Kbits, not bytes).  Intel had both projects going at once,
but (unexpectedly) the 64 team got *ahead* of the 32 team.  They dropped
 the 32 project, and never made an actual 32 chip.  But they still
sold a 2732--it was a 2764 in which one side was bad, and they'd
permanently wired it to use the good sise.

hawk, old enough to remember when microsoft wrote good software . . .

Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail
These opinions will not be those of                 X    and postings
Penn State until it pays my retainer.              / \