Date:      Wed, 21 Dec 1994 06:25:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Research applications

Chuck Robey writes:

> A physicist friend of mine, who is in research, tells me they just had a
> crashed disk on their PC running SCO.  He's seen me have my fun using FreeBSD,
> and would like to do it too, but he has an i860 board, and must support
> it.  Could someone tell me if this is possible with FreeBSD, I mean, is
> there an i860 compiler he could use, and could he get FreeBSD to talk
> to his i860 card?  I'd like to help him if it's possible...

A few questions:

What is he using as a compiler on the SCO?  This is probably one of the
easier tasks for the SCO emulator, if ever there was one.  I bet he is
using a DOS compiler from microway, though.

Is this the Hauppauge 4860 motherboard?  Does he use the i860 only as a
peripheral?

There is a gcc i860 compiler, but the last I knew it was not of
production quality.

Peter (who once had the pleasure of working on a 10 i860 processor Alliant
FX/2800 with 4MB of cache 256 MB of memory and a 45 GB HIPPI disk array).

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936