Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 18:45:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PicoBSD on a bootable CDROM?

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, John Baldwin wrote:

> >> Just so you know, I've just committed a new way of booting off a CD without
> >> using a floppy image for x86.  Basically, you need to grab a loader and
> >> cdboot
> >> from -current and stick them along with the other loader bits on a CD in
> >> /boot,
> >> and use '-b boot/cdboot -no-emul-boot' as part of your mkisofs command line.

Do you find that non-emulation booting is actually supported on many
machines?  Last time I played with it (about a year ago), of the dozen or
so PCs that came to hand, only one would even recognize it as bootable,
and I was never able to get that one to do any more than crash once it had
loaded the boot image (though this may be that my boot image was no good).