Date:      18 Nov 2002 22:33:01 +0800
From:      Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>
To:        jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: java 1.3.1 and dual cpu

--=-2XKFXQESk6tsGp6ZetEF

On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 16:08, jesse reynolds wrote:

> Will Java make user of multiple CPU's on FreeBSD if there is only one=20
> Java process? That is, can there be some threads in the JVM running=20
> on one CPU and some other threads running on the other CPU in order=20
> to make user of the full capactity of a dual pentium 3 system?

It doesn't look like it on my machine:

top shows a single java process with the CPU number alternating, but
it's not making use of both CPUs well.=20

Running the Java2D test, with all options turned on (texturing,
anti-aliasing etc.) it's crawling and shows that the CPU still has 57%
percent left.=20

Note: I'm not familiar at all with Java on FreeBSD, so I'm running
default settings without any optimisations.

--=20
Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>

--=-2XKFXQESk6tsGp6ZetEF

--=-2XKFXQESk6tsGp6ZetEF--