Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 2009 08:32:42 -1000
From:      Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net>
To:        Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
Cc:        Identry <jalmberg@identry.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: toaster or do-it-myself?

Tim Judd wrote:
> On 8/10/09, Identry <jalmberg@identry.com> wrote:
>> Frack... qmail is impossible. I've been hacking at this for 14 hours
>> and it's just not working. I must be stupid.
>

> If you're open to suggestions, there are two typical camps on this.
> first one being a majority.  I've done both, and don't know which one
> to favor
>

> 1) A mix-n match bag of software daemons that make it all work:
> postfix MTA, dovecot POP3/IMAP, your choice of virtual user database,
> squirrelmail (or another webmail) product.  That gives basic
> functions.  Add anti-spam (spamassassin is common), and anti-virus
> (clamav).
>
> 2) Install Courier suite, in which the same developers have a MTA,
> POP3/IMAP, webmail suite.  Add Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus and your kit
> is complete.
>

> For the first time, I was able to install an email subsystem that
> eliminates all spam without an anti-spam software app.  Based on the
> blacklists for known spammers, and a blacklist for accidental
> spammers, we're curbing most if not all other spam mails from being
> accepted by the MTA.  The first blacklist are blocked by the firewall,
> second blacklist is checked at each incoming connection and the MTA
> will send notice to the remote connection (in the event it's a real
> person sending mail from a spamming host), on how to clear themselves.
>
> There isn't any AV suite to speak of, but if we're killing all
> susceptable spams, the viruses are from the same bunch so we're
> killing two birds with one stone.
>

> Soon, I'll revisit Courier and see if my same mail setup is able to
> accomplish the same goal, and I know the first blacklist will happen,
> it's the 2nd I'm not so sure about.
>

> Getting a toaster-application is nice, speedy setup.  but you work
> with it's limitations or drawbacks.  Building your own gives more
> flexibility, and depending on setup, it'll be no more than a
> toaster-application -- or a whole lot more.
>

> Ask us questions, there's lots of posts online.
> For a quick setup, i always
> - Install FreeBSD
> - Run freebsd-update fetch install && reboot
> - Install binary packages, and update them using your choice port
> upgrade utility, if any
>
> That's the quickest way to get a server live and operational...
> because a non-modified port options = same binary that's offered as a
> package.
>

> Identry, send me a mail offlist if you want clarification on this post.
>
> Good luck.

Aloha,

After trying qmail and a couple other email systems I like Tim installed
  The postfix dovecot combo from FreeBSD ports.

I have had it working on two separate servers for about 4 years I think.
Recently I had to rebuild a server due to a hardware failure and was
pleased to see that the maintainers had set the defaults to what I
happen to use so all it took was checking the settings against my old
install and up she went on the new machine.

I second the #1 choice Tim made. Works for me here.

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* - 8.* +
   < email: noc@hdk5.net >