Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:18:00 +0100
From:      Karol Kwiatkowski <freebsd@orchid.homeunix.org>
To:        Ben Haysom <ben.haysom@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: reboot DURING a portupgrade

[format fixed]

Ben Haysom wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am running FBSD 5.3-CURRENT on a Duron 700Mhz 384Mb RAM.
>>
>> When I do (as root)
>>
>> #portupgrade -a
>>
>> it comes back with:
>>
>> Stale dependency: acroread-5.10_1 --> linux_base-8-8.0_6 -- manually
>> run 'pkgdb -F' to fix, or specify -O to force.
>>
>> So I do
>>
>> #portupgrade -a -O
>>
>> and *everytime* it reboots itself before the portupgrade is complete.
>> Not a clean reboot though - it doesn't dismount filesystems before it goes.
>>
>> I can't work out what it's doing.
>> There is nothing relevant in /var/log/messages.

> Just fixed the stale dependencies, then did portupgrade -a
>
> same thing.
> unclean reboot.

Sounds like faulty hardware to me (or _really_ misconfigured kernel
and/or compilation options - yeah, I did that once :) )

First I would check memory with tools like memtest
/usr/ports/sysutils/memtest86

Second I would check if CPU is not overheating. You could use
/usr/ports/sysutils/cpuburn for that.

That's for a start. If it's not hardware problem post more details: do
you have custom kernel? If so, what options were changed? Was the
system stable before changes? What about /etc/make.conf? etc.

Regards,

Karol

--
Karol Kwiatkowski  <freebsd at orchid dot homeunix dot org>