Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2006 10:00:26 +0700
From:      Beastie <beastie@mra.co.id>
To:        Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
Cc:        Liste FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
Subject:   Re: SATA Raid (stress test..)
References:  <61560.207.70.139.52.1139628926.squirrel@www.compedgeracing.com>	<44052663.7000802@mra.co.id> <440565FF.3030002@mra.co.id>	<44058D9E.3010801@dial.pipex.com> <440675E0.1020204@mra.co.id>	<4406CB4D.5050300@dial.pipex.com>	<ef10de9a0603020641t7014bf4cn9c9cc08b8d62af29@mail.gmail.com>	<44072515.6080105@dial.pipex.com>	<ef10de9a0603021550t54024c8bra7bf5905409f36fa@mail.gmail.com>	<44082439.6070101@dial.pipex.com> <ef10de9a0603030951p15ea49fei1d6d8fc56350feb9@mail.gmail.com>

--------------010501080304090606070006

Nikolas Britton wrote:

>>>Yes I see your point, it does look like I'm replying to something you
>>>wrote. This was a oversight and I am sorry.
>>>

>>OK.
>>

>>>Remember that 105MB/s number I quoted above?, that's just the
>>>sustained read transfer rate for a big ass file, I don't need to work
>>>with big ass files. I need to work with 15MB files (+/- 5MB). After
>>>buying the right disks, controller, mainboard etc. and lots of tuning
>>>with the help of iozone I get: 200 - 350MB/s overall (read, write,
>>>etc.) for files less then or equal to 64MB*.
>>>
>>>So anyways, that's what iozone can do for you. google it and you'll
>>>find out more stuff about it.
>>>

>>Thanks for the info.  I think I can only dream about numbers like like
>>yours.  Iozone looks to be in the ports so I see some of my weekend
>>disappearing looking at it :-)
>>

>It runs on over two dozen operating systems, including windows. Their
>are two primary reasons I can get such high transfer rates from simple
>SATA drives. The first one was the selection of the mainboard that had
>a PCI-X slots, I built this system before PCI-Express mainboards and
>controllers hit the market. The PCI bus is severely restricted and
>obsolete, I'm simply going to post the theoretical maximum throughput
>in MB/s for the various bus standards:
>
>f(x,y) = x-bits * y-MHz / 8 = maximum theoretical throughput in MB/s
>
>PCI: 32 bits * 33 Mhz / 8 = 132 MB/s (standard PCI bus found on every pc)
>PCI: (32bits, 66MHz) = 264MB/s (Cards are commonplace, mainboards aren't)
>PCI-X: (64, 33) = 264MB/s (obsolete, won't find it on new boards.)
>PCI-X: (64, 66) = 528MB/s (Commonplace.)
>PCI-X: (64, 100) = 800
>PCI-X: (64, 133) = 1064 (Commonplace.)
>PCI-X: (64, 266) = 2128
>PCI-X: (64, 533) = 4264 (very hard to find, even on high-end equipment.)
>
>PCI-X version 1 (66MHz - 133MHz) and PCI-X version 2 (266MHz -
>533MHz). PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI and slower versions of
>PCI-X, for example you can put a standard PCI card in a PCI-X 533MHz
>slot and it will simply run at (32, 33) similarly a 66 MHz PCI card
>will run at (32, 66) and so on and so forth. PCI-X is also forwards
>compatible in the fact that you can run a 133MHz PCI-X card in a
>standard (32, 33) PCI slot. Because of the backwards and an forwards
>compatibly I feel that PCI-X is superior to PCI-Express, *BUT*
>PCI-Express moving forwards is far far superior to PCI & PCI-X because
>it does not have 13 years of legacy to remain compatible with, it's
>cheaper to produce, and it's already in lower-end desktop systems as a
>replacement for AGP thanks to all the gamers. A few years from now PCI
>will end up where ISA / EISA are. I'm veering way off topic so I will
>not go into anymore details about PCI, PCI-X, and PCI-Express. Google
>around for the shortcomings of PCI / PCI-X and why PCI-Express is the
>future.
>
>PCI-Express: PCIe is not compatible with PCI or PCI-X (except for PCIe
> [...]
attach iozone result of amrd0 with 4 spindle Seagate Baracuda 300 Gb
SATA II (1 hotspare)
w/ Intel SRCS16 PCI-X
Is that fast or what ? :)

regards