Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:54:08 -0000
From:      dlhoar@ruraltel.net (Darryl Hoar)
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   IP Addresses

I have read somewhere (I'm getting old and forget), that there are
a set of defined IP addresses for people to use on their LANS.  This
is when you are not going to try and register IP's, etc.   I have been
using an network address 192.1.1.X, but with my FreeBSD 2.2.6 machine
which is doing ppp -auto -alias, it looks up some of the addresses and
shows the real name on the internet.  IE,

netstat -r shows

TBN2000.COLUMBIA.BBN.COM as one of our local hosts.  I definitely don't want
that, so
have decided to use the proper IP addresses for someone in our boat.

Thanks in advance,

Darryl