Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:55:25 -0500
From:      "David Uhring" <duhring@charter.net>
To:        "Mark Ovens" <marko@freebsd.org>, "Jim Mock" <jim@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Andreas Ntaflos" <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: realplayer and freebsd?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Ovens" <marko@freebsd.org>
To: "Jim Mock" <jim@freebsd.org>
Cc: "Andreas Ntaflos" <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>;
<freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 7:29 PM

> On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 09:48:28AM -0700, Jim Mock wrote:
> > > >

> > > RealPlayer 7 (for Linux) works. I installed it from the file
> > > rp7_redhat6.bin and RP works standalone, but the Netscape plugin
> > > doesn't (it fires up the standalone player). Someone told me that
> > > installing from rp7_linux20_libc6_i386_b2.bin works both as standalone
> > > *and* as a plugin, but I haven't tried it yet.
> > >
> > > You should be able to get them from http://www.real.com/
> >
> > There's also a port of realplayer 7.. /usr/ports/audio/linux-realplayer
> > :-)
> >

> OK, I've installed the port. Do you know a URL where the plugin will
> (should) actually run? Everywhere I try (e.g. radio stations) just
> fires up the external RP program, plays Welcome.rm and just sits
> there.
>
> > - jim
> >
> > --
> > /* jim mock - berkeley software design, inc - open source division */
> > /* documentation manager - jim@FreeBSD.org - jim@luna.osd.bsdi.com */

> --
>   If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
>   am I entitled to my money back?

http://real.com  Click on Radio Stations on the left side of the page, then
select your choice of music.
RP should come up and indicate "contacting".  If it doesn't, check your
mime-types in Netscape/Edit/
Preferences/Navigator/Applications.  If all else fails, download the
RealPlayer8 Basic for Redhat,
the binary executable version, not the rpm.  Make the file executable chmod
+x and run it.  It works
and works just fine.  You will get a SEGFAULT after completing the install
and registration crap,
don't worry about it.