Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 22:56:32 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <jmdupx@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Microsoft bashers

I would amend the last sentence of that to

"the easier or more likely it is that an individual will use a corporation
to try to unfairly influence or dominate a market "

This danger is known and has been known for a long time.  It is why antitrust
laws were written.  Any economic prof will tell you that in a purely
capitalistic system, that ultimately all global markets will collapse into
monopolies.  A system of monopolies is the normal end result state of a pure
free market.

The only answer to fix this is, of course, government.  Only governments can
enforce laws and contracts.  The problem is that ever since the Reagan years
we have had a string of conservatives (in the US at least) that have been
telling us that government is evil and must be reduced.  Now an entire
generation has been raised on this fodder and believes it utterly.  Meanwhile
all this anti-government claptrap has not succeed in reducing government one
bit - instead it has merely weakened it to the point that enormous numbers of
special interest groups are now
manipulating it and we end up with a system that's even worse than the
supposedly
bad government that it was meant to replace.

Fortunately, the pendulum appears to be starting to swing back.  The rolling
blackouts in California were the obvious end result of these stupid
anti-government deregulation campaigns, and now people are starting to realize
that the last 20 years of populist crap is exactly that - crap.  And, in the
US we now have a crushing national debt that we didn't have 20 years ago that
will prevent the conservatives from initiating deficit spending to pump up the
economy, and thus conning all the fools into believing that the deregulation
is what jump-started the economy, instead of the real reason - mass printing
of funny money.

It is definitely not a good time for Microsoft to be spouting it's "Help the
nasty government is beating up on us with anti-trust laws" excuses.