Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 15:37:49 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>, "David Greenman" <dg@root.com>, "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>, "FreeBSD Chat" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why no Indians and Arabs?

Terry writes:

> This is probably unrepresentitive, since you
> appear to go out of your way to create controversy
> to get just such a reaction.

There is nothing controversial about my Web site, and even if there were,
nobody would know that until _after_ visiting it, so it would not drive
traffic to the site.

> One thing I find incredibly amusing is that
> your site uses IE specific tags, and so it won't
> render correctly on most browsers ...

Really?  Which ones?  Most of the pages validate as correct HTML, at least
according to the W3C (I periodically check them).

Additionally, they _do_ render correctly on most browsers.  I test with MSIE
5.x, Opera 5.x, Netscape 6.x, Netscape 4.x, WebTV, and Lynx, and all except
Netscape 4.x render pages correctly.  And I don't care about Netscape 4.x,
because it represents less than 2% of visitors, and it contains so many
rendering bugs that you must usually choose between coding HTML to render
correctly in Netscape 4.x, or coding HTML to validate properly and render
correctly in every other browser, and I normally choose the latter.

> ... so you are in fact self-limiting you prospective
> audience pretty much to people outside the Open Source
> community entirely -- apropos of the places you
> post your controversy induction/selp promotion
> material.

See above.  My audience isn't limited in any way except for users of
Netscape 4.x, who are likely to see many of the more recent pages
incorrectly rendered (as well as two of the frames), but they are a tiny
minority and I cannot afford to accommodate them.  I don't use any ActiveX
at all (except for PDF files), and very little scripting.  The site can even
be navigated successfully using text-only browsers, browsers that don't
support frames, and browsers without Javascript support.  CSS support is
necessary for non-text browsers, but just about every browser has that.