Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 21:14:46 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "Bill Moran" <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Drive Space - Am I Getting All I Should?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Moran" <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To: "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc: <questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 8:01 PM

> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> > I added a 80G IDE drive to my 4.5 machine.  I used
/stand/sysinstall
> > to FDisk and Label the drive.  Now after mounting, df -h shows:
> >
> > Filesystem        Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > /dev/ad0s1e        72G   1.0K    66G     0%    /ftp
> >
> > dmesg shows the drive as 76319M so 72G seems reasonable:
> >
> > ad0: 76319MB <GENERIC GENERIC> [155061/16/63] at ata0-master
UDMA33

> > The /stand/sysinstall disklabel editor sees it as the same size:
> >
> > Part      Mount           Size Newfs  Part      Mount
Size

  -----           ---- -----  ----      -----           ---- -
> > ----
> > ad0s1e    /ftp         76319MB UFS Y
> >
> > But the FDISK partition editor sees the drive geometry differently
> > than dmesg:
> >
> > Disk name:      ad0                                    FDISK
Partition
> > Editor
> > DISK Geometry:  30629 cyls/81 heads/63 sectors = 156299787 sectors
> >
> >     Offset       Size        End     Name  PType       Desc
Subtype
> > Flags
> >
> >          0  156301488  156301487    ad0s1      3    freebsd
165

> > So how come df -h only shows 66G available?  Where's the other 6G?
Is
> > this some limitation of FBSD or my system BIOS?
>
> If this isn't in the FAQ, it should be.  It's in certain man pages.
> The short answer is:  Filesystem performance degrades very badly
when
> a filesystem is more than 92% full, so the OS reserves 8% of the
drive
> to keep performance reasonable.  Only the root user can fill the
disk
> more than 92%
> This is only a default value.  You can change the reserved space on
> drive with either tunefs or with options when you newfs it.  I don't
> recommend it, though.  The 8% thing was heavily researched and if
you
> fill a drive fuller than that, saving data to it is going to take
> forever.

Oh OK, duh.  I knew that but 6G seemed so large that it didn't
register in my head.  After all, I had already lost 8G since it's
supposed to be an 80G drive but FBSD only sees 72G.  :)  I don't know
how it works but one never seems to get all the space that is
advertised in a drive.  I suspect it has something to do with total
storage capacity vs. formatted storage capacity but that's a topic for
another discussion.  Thanks for pointing me back in the right
direction.

Thanks,

Drew