Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 00:38:55 +1000
From:      "Haikal Saadh" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
To:        <newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Some food for thought...(aka rant of the day)

I've just finished a network admininstration unit at Uni, which involved
setting up a unix server.
Over the course of 2 weeks, we learned about a lot of things...samba,X,nfs
and so on.
For better or worse (my vote being for worse), we had to use......Red Hat
Linux!!!
Well, now that I've actually had a chance to play with linux and freebsd,
the conclusion I reach regarding which of the two is better, as far as the
newbie/hobbyist sysadmin is concerned is freebsd hands down.
How on earth is anyone supposed to make heads or tails out of /etc on a
linux box? What with all those /etc/rcX's and so forth...

And I must say that also regarding installing software, ports/packages beat
RPMS anytime. I find the ports system way more intuitive than the RPM. And
the fact that you don't have to explicitly mention that you want
dependencies installed also makes life that little bit more sane for newbies
like me.

<insert comments praising freebsd here>

Cheers!