Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 06:46:40 -0700
From:      "Shannon Johnson" <shannon@needhams.com>
To:        "Alexey Zakirov" <frank@agava.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: jail & security

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Alexey Zakirov wrote:
>
> > > no chances. It's a very pain jail feature (weakness). :(
> >
> > I actually disagree. It it possible to limit a users resources within a
>
> sorry, I have to repeat "no chances".
> You CAN'T limit whole jail limits. If I had the superuser priviliges in
> your jail(2) I'd trash your system. You can set users limits but you can't
> resist against root compromise as ASPLinux and UML linux do.

Alexey, correct me if I am wrong, but Igor was asking if it was possible to
limit "resources allocated by  each VM (jail)." I simply addressed it on
this issue and not on "root compromise." That is why I refered him to login
classes.

By the way, it is nice to know that you would trash my system if given root
access within the jail. However, there are ways to prevent people like
yourself from destroying a system (e.g. read only file system, setting the
system immutable flag, etc.)

Remind me to never give you a shell account.

---
Shannon