Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 23:28:56 -0500
From:      "Mark Segal" <mark@club-web.com>
To:        "Kevin Day" <toasty@home.dragondata.com>, <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <mountin.man@mixcom.com>
Subject:   Re: Large httpd log files

>>Secondly, you must configure analog to use those files instead.. i found
the
>>config files a pain so i just recompile it each time (now a script).. just
>>change the file locations in the analhead.h
>
>Recompile Analog each time?  Why?
>
>Simpler and faster to run a loop for *log and 'analog +a $logfile' with a
simple shell or PERL script.

>I had 3 versions.  One with full hosts on, the second with full hosts off
for sites with more hits, and another for full hosts that would do directory
stats deeper for the personal sites.  A flat file is used for each site to
get the values for the site, recipient, type of report, etc.

>The original post used one big log which could either be parsed or just run
Analog for a directory report and give the totals, but personally I'd rather
use the virtual host directive.  Customers also like when they can have
their own error page another reason for using virtual.

>ErrorDocument 404 <user's_dir>/error.html
>
>Otherwise the servers plain generic is used and you give the customer that
warm, fuzzy feeling. ;)

:)....  i agree.  but, changing 4 log files.. the title.. and the location
url under the title.. it just becomes a pain in the ass..

mark