Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 12:23:29 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "leegold" <goldtech@worldpost.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: new books, changing my pt. of view

> I had to use instructions from five web sites and piece it together when I
> attempted my first install some months ago plus fill in the blanks from
the
> mail and newsgroups.

Seems thats the way things are done in open source circles .... maybe if
enough
of us newbie types made a lot more noise someone might listen. Hey you've
just
given me an idea .... what say we form a "FreeBSD Newbie Union" to press the
"powers that be" for better working conditions ??

This has been the pattern for learning how to do most
> things. In a mission critical situation ( and of course I can only tread
> water re FreeBSD at this point ) I would say use the brilliantly
documented
> stuff all things being equal.

I come across a heap of associates in general business consulting circles
who are, like me, quite impressed with the way FreeBSD systems just running
with nary an illegal act / fatal exception / GPF / BSOD / etc, but as soon
as some unfamiliar application is required the typical difficulty in
figuring it out plus the time pressures involved in most businesses tends to
force a move to some other O/S, usually a product of our comrades from
Redmond. Thankfully I've got a fairly loyal & open-minded mob of clients who
manage to muddle by for whatever time it takes me to sort some solution out
in FreeBSD, but not everyone has this luxury.

> I have found - and I feel "funny" saying this, but, many ( SOME )
brilliant
> Unix admins. - they are....individualists. Some are hard for me to deal
> with. Even the ones in official teaching positions sometimes are
eccentric.
> But I unabashedly pick their brains if I can.

I think eccentricity is part of geekship, and even more so in academia. We
can probably live with that as long as the aforesaid eccentric ones refrain
from writing stuff in whatever weird language they learned on their home
planet and stuck to "proper" english (like what regular folk use). Better
still, the "FreeBSD Newbies Union" should insist that ALL documentation be
prepared by one of their members.