Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:07:23 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Thanks guys

Grant writes:

> I like that figure, 7 billion. But let's break
> it down. 6 billion on promotion. $666.666.000
> on production. and 1 million on support.

This is incorrect.  Most of the development cost goes to pay the salaries of
the engineers and programmers writing the product.

Support is the major continuing cost of software for a vendor, but it's not
an up-front cost, whereas the development costs must be paid before the
product even goes out the door.  Very few companies can afford to shell out
several billion dollars to write a new operating system.  Microsoft is one
of the few that can.  Apple could not, so it adapted UNIX instead, although
I predict that OS X will gradually evolve from a UNIX-like operating system
into a fully-proprietary system (because the latter makes more money).

> I have faith that open source will be on top
> in 10 years.

I doubt that.  Open source is written by volunteers who still have to have
day jobs.  If all software was open source, there'd be no jobs to support
the volunteers writing open source, and so open source would destroy itself,
and you'd be back to proprietary software.  This effect will keep open
source in check.

Of course, software companies could write software and then distribute the
source, but no company that wants to survive can afford to do that--it would
be giving away its only source of revenue.

> It's going to be this generation that takes Bill down!!

It's this generation and its successors that will keep Bill rich.