Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 07:22:01 -0700
From:      "Joel M. Fulton" <jfulton@e3tech.net>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Would like comments and opinions regarding desktop OS switch

Greetings-

I am looking to switch (personal) desktops from Win2K/NT/9x to either
FreeBSD or the Debian distribution of Linux.  I've spent a lot of time
researching distributions, usability, hardware compatibility, etc. and have
a component system spec'd with hardware appropriate for either.  I have also
lurked on this (and other) FreeBSD lists and Debian lists - trying to get
sense of the environment from its people, so to speak, before making my
decision.

I am asking for and would like comments about the reason you made your
decision to use FreeBSD.
How has your experience been so far?
Now that you're a FreeBSD user, would you have rather chosen another OS?
Did you begin using FreeBSD for politico-ethica-socio-spiritual reasons if
not, why did you begin using FreeBSD?
What three things do you wish you would've known before adopting FreeBSD?

It is my intent to run both before deciding which to keep.  My functionality
requirements to make this a successful shift:
stability, ease of updates (both to os and to ports/packages), some specific
applications (palm sync, cdrw/cd-ripping (for backup purposes only),
samba/smb connectivity)

Thank you, in advance, for any comments.  Just to reiterate, I'm not looking
for reasons to jump off the Microsoft ship - those are legion, and in my
opinion best described by one of their knowledge base articles:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q172/6/53.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=g
n&FR=0&qry=Q172653&rnk=1&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=CHS .  But that's
besides the point...

What I am asking for reasons *to* move to FreeBSD and perhaps a contrast
between it and the Debian distribution.

Best regards,

joel