Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:10:09 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "James Diefenderfer" <james@worldly.org>
Cc:        "Joe Warner" <jswarner@uswest.net>, "Jerry Dunham" <jerry@dunham.org>, <cal@rushe.aero.org>, "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>, "Wes Peters" <wes@softweyr.com>, "Michael Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Sue Blake" <sue@welearn.com.au>, <newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Still No FreeBSD

G'day James :)

Hey I'm certainly no expert on this stuff, but there's no way I'd even try
installing
ANY unix in a laptop unless it used really basic videocard / soundcard
/network
card etc. For some reason laptop designers seem to feel its obligatory to
dredge up
the weirdest bits for their products .... certainly all the ones I've looked
at had
oddball rubbish componentry like SiS video, unknown weirdo soundcards, &
something like those "broken even when new"  RealTek NIC's, etc etc  that
are
difficult enough to get working properly even in Win98 !!!!

I guess a lot depends on ones philosophy ..... if you are like certain geeks
of my
acquaintance you may well appreciate a challenge, however what I want most
times
is the simplest possible way to get the thing working properly.

 Lots of things are probably "do-able" by experts, but virtually impossible
for newbies.
Whilst I do occasionally "have a go" at installations in borderline
machines, 90% of the
time its just not worth the aggro .... far easier to assemble a system with
nice standard
(and easily obtainable) bits like Intel CPU, S3 / ATI video, SB16 sound, SMC
/
3-com / Intel NIC that work in virtually all operating systems. Other bits
*might* work,
but the only way to know is put the time in & see what happens. I'm usually
very short
on time so as far as I'm concerned those el junko taiwanese garbage generic
disasters
are best left in the shop.

I thought there was a hardware compatibility list somewhere ..... or was it
just a list
of suggested bits & pieces by one of the FreeBSD guru's (Jordan himself as I
recall)??
... whatever it is / was I'm certain it contained well known breeds of
components. My
only objection was the recommendation for Matrox videocards, and that simply
because
(at least in OZ) one needs to mortgage the house to buy one. I've found ATI
ones give
virtually the same result at something like 20% of the cost.