Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 17:00:12 -0600
From:      "John Nielsen" <stable@jnielsen.net>
To:        "Mike Jakubik" <mikej@trigger.net>, "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, "John Prince" <johnp@lodgenet.com>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ATA Atapi 4.6 Release

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Jakubik" <mikej@trigger.net>
To: "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>; "John Prince"
<johnp@lodgenet.com>
Cc: <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 4:40 PM

Nothing
> is really mentioned in the release
> notes, and I don't see any performance improvements or any other
significant
> changes.

The release does mention this:
    "The ata(4) driver was synchronized with the driver from
FreeBSD -CURRENT as of 18 March 2002."

And the most significant improvement brought about by that MFC is also
mentioned:
    "The ata(4) driver now has support for creating, deleting, querying, and
rebuilding ATA RAIDs under control of atacontrol(8)."

Also the usual support for new chipsets (including some ATA133 ones), etc as
mentioned in the hardware notes.

But you're right, if your hardware was well-supported under 4.5, you
probably won't see a world of difference under 4.6.  By the same token,
though, there's no reason NOT to upgrade because of the new ata code
(assuming you want to upgrade anyway).

JN