Date:      04 Dec 2002 22:22:10 +1300
From:      James Pole <james.pole@paradise.net.nz>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stability & nvidia drivers?

Hi Stign,

Using a TNT2 card, things are more stable than yours -- it actually
works reasonably well. But I still have a few problems.

Once in a while, the driver seems to do weird things and thus my monitor
goes weird and everything goes crazy. It's hard to describe, but it
looks like the monitor can't handle the data coming from the video card
so it stuffs up the image and eventually it goes in power-saving mode to
protect itself from blowing up. This happens with either the NVIDIA
driver or the FreeBSD AGP GART driver.

It can be solved simply by pressing any key and everything goes back to
normal. Needless to say, this is very annoying. It happens in either 2D
or 3D mode. This has never happened with the "nv" driver or in the
console so this points to the NVIDIA driver as being the source of
problems.

Nowdays, I just use the "nv" driver and software rendering since I have
a 1700+ CPU with 256MB ram which is plenty for most of the 3D games I
play (such as Railroad Tycoon II Demo from /usr/ports/games/rt2_demo/).
If I was you I'ld just stick with the "nv" driver or sell the video card
and get an ATI or Matrox AGP card. They're apparently more stable than
NVIDIA when it comes to 3D/OpenGL rendering, althought I may be wrong.

- James