Date:      27 Feb 2003 18:37:19 +0100
From:      "Georg-W. Koltermann" <g.w.k@web.de>
To:        Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: performance results of 1.3.1 hotspot]

Am Do, 2003-02-27 um 13.46 schrieb Marc van Kempen:

> Here you go:
>
> Time taken for tests:   22.204 seconds
> Complete requests:      100
> Failed requests:        0
> Total transferred:      1479400 bytes
> HTML transferred:       1452900 bytes
> Requests per second:    4.50
> Transfer rate:          66.63 kb/s received
>
> i.e. jdk1.4.1 is approximately 1.8 times as fast as
> 1.3.1-pl8, (without hotspot).
>
> This is what I hoped for! Great work.
>
> But it's curious that 1.3.1 would perform so much worse!
>
> Regards,
> Marc.

1.3.1 with hotspot is a real hog during startup - it gets better after a
while.  I know that well from working in Together, it takes literally
several minutes to start up.  Still, after the startup phase
1.3.1-hotspot ich *much* faster (subjective impression while working in
Together) than -classic with some other JIT (tya, OpenJIT).

Try Together with 1.3.1 without a JIT and you feel like committing
suicide!

As to 1.4.1, unfortunately Together 6 will not work with JDK 1.4 (not
even under Windows), so I cannot compare.  The saying goes that the next
version of Together should work in 1.4.x.

--
Regards,
Georg.