Date:      06 Mar 2003 07:43:06 -0500
From:      Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@cfl.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   please help: nntp and gaming with ipfw

I have FreeBSD 4.7 running on my old p100 setup as a firewall..
everything works except for 2 things: nntp (it somewhat works) and
playing a game through the firewall from a windows box (battlefield 1942
specifically)

With nntp I can view newsgroups but I get a lot of lag.. more like it
freezes.. in mozilla mail when I click on a message on a newsgroup, it
just sits there and says "Loading document..." in the status bar.
Sometimes it works, but the majority of the time I have that problem.  I
know it is not mozilla that is the problem because I can produce it on
my windows box with other news clients.  Here is the output of "ipfw
show | grep 119"

00425   30925   1359340 allow tcp from any to any 119 keep-state out
xmit ep0 setup
00426       0         0 allow udp from any to any 119 keep-state out
xmit ep0
00605       0         0 allow tcp from any 119 to any keep-state in recv
ep0 setup
00606       0         0 allow udp from any 119 to any keep-state in recv
ep0

if its not the firewall and these rules are ok, then what else could it
be?

With Battlefield 1942.. it uses port 14567.  I cant get this to work at
all.

I have the following in my firewall rules:

00335	0	0 allow tcp from any 14567 to any keep-state out xmit ep0 setup

00336	0	0 allow udp from any 14567 to any keep-state out xmit ep0

00620	0	0 allow tcp from any to any 14567 keep-state in recv ep0 setup

00621	0	0 allow udp from any to any 14567 keep-state in recv ep0

any ideas what's wrong with these rules?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron