Date:      Thu, 03 Feb 2005 01:08:04 -0700
From:      Mauro <mcepeda@ualberta.ca>
To:        Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: airport estreme with Freebsd

I don't buy the theory about government frequencies.  This theory asks
one to believe that government frequencies are not intercepted or
tampered with in some fashion.  They are tampered with and can be done
so easily.  Legally sold scanners enable one to listen in to all sorts
of private signals.  Also, mundane Radio shack parts apparently will
allow the techy in the know to manipulate government frequencies.  The
idea that they keep their specs in the dark because an insignificant
number of geeks might want to fool around with government frequencies is
not sound because these are not numbers to worry about, and because it's
not as if broadcom would be setting a precedence enabling the
manipulation of government frequencies by the public.  The concept of
broadcom not releasing specs because they do not want to "step on
government toes" is also problematic because it is ethnocentric.  It
assumes that these set of frequencies are illegal in all localities
where wireless is sold (globally).  Although I have not studied it, this
is probably not so.

The one about having competitive edge makes sense.  Especially
considering the history, one of refusal to co-operate I'm told, that
broadcom towards free/open source movements.

This a propietary linux driver for airport extreme:
http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

As for an opensource project for airport extreme, its here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-bcom4301/

I have to say, link such as this one:
http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/misc/0307/msg00808.html
suggest that some people do have airport extreme working, contrary to
common opinion.

On a related note, I found this:
"http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-bcom4301/
Now the above link is working towards a driver that willl be portable to
various archs.
And they do have access to the specs of airport extreme by way of an
unnamed company.

The problem is that these devs are obligated to not divulge publically.
That's why it is going slow.
It is interesting to note that their site mentions, to the best of my
recollection and presumably prior to getting access to specs, that they
hope some company will feel obligated by gpl to make the specs public or
co-operate with open/free source devs (I'm paraphrasing). What I
understand from this is that airport extreme uses open/free source code
in their driver. Thus, if this is true, in my opinion braodcom is
violating gpl license because gpl obligates them to make public the
source. The only exception to the above rule is if broadcom were not to
distribute the driver they could keep the source (and changes) to
themselves. But since drivers for airport extreme hardware (a broadcom
product) are distributed with OSs, the drivers should be opened up
(again my interpretation of gpl). Perhaps, broadcom's refusal to
co-operate with the public directly is their legal attempt around this.
They dump the responcibility of providing drivers for their hardware to
apple (as per an email I have from them). They basically told me, your
want drivers, get them from apple. Yeah right, as if apple is going to
distribute linux drivers! Shows how stubborn and how commited they are
to their refusal to co-operate with free source (idiots in my book).
Apple's whole reason behind broadcom and the odd connector is obviously
to limit interoperablity. Ergo, it's an attempt to lock their hardware
customers to their bloated and slow OS (or at least this is how I feel
being an owner of a 2004 ibook with airport extreme).

I give broadcom two fingers up, three if you count ..."