Date:      Sun, 06 Feb 2005 00:23:23 -0700
From:      Mauro <mcepeda@ualberta.ca>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Subject:   Re: airport estreme with Freebsd

On Sun, 2005-06-02 at 00:43 -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> with Broadcom.  We're all just speculating at their reasons,
> and that is clearly a complete waste of time if people are going
> to get all upset about "ethnocentrism".  Nobody on this mailing
> list is trying to ram anything down anyone else's throat.
>
> We're not guessing at "what all the people on the planet" want,
> we are guessing at the motives of Broadcom.  If it happens that
> Broadcom does want to keep the FCC happy, so they can sell their
> products in the US, that is not the fault of anyone on this list.

I wasn't under the impression this was an american list.

I'm not attacking anyone on the list.  You seem to think I'm making a
moral judgement on a particular person, I'm not. Nor do I find fault
with the list for broadcom's poor comportment.  My point is that that
speculation can't account for Broadcom's reluctance to release specs
globally.  And I stand behind that.  Now any speculation that must
happen must take place within a global worldview because we live in a
world where business is global and Freebsd is global just as Broadcom is
a global business.  And I dare to presume that this list is also global
as I don't believe it limits its discussion to American topics or how
technology solely affects the American human condition.  I'm a living
example of this this "gobalness", I don't live in the states and I got
airport extreme.  Thus, I don't care what the FCC says, not do I think
its dictates affect me.  A pet peeve with me is when I used to get
americans telling me that a product should be available because the FDA
allows it.  Shazam!  We're not in the states so the FDA has no
jurisdiction, and I could care less about the FDA or the FCC ... is what
I would tell them!

Last I checked the US depended on foreign trade for most of its economy.
Thus, internationalism is the perspective we should be considering.

Having said that, I think it good that we can speculate.