Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2006 11:51:06 +0200
From:      Joel Dahl <joel@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [UPDATE] RFC: snd_hda(4) -- Intel High Definition Audio driver

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 19:17 +0200, Joel Dahl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ariff Abdullah (ariff@) has been working on snd_hda(4) for a while now,
> which is a High Definition Audio driver and should enable basic audio
> capabilities on a lot of new machines on the market.  He's been busy
> with improving the driver lately, so he asked me to send out an
> announcement and a call for testers -- yes, the driver is ready for a
> wider audience now.  :-)

<SNIP>

We've made significant progress with the snd_hda(4) driver during the
last week (sound is perfect on my HP NX7400, for example) and a lot of
credit must go to ariff@ who's been debugging the hell out of a couple
of systems lately.

The current status seems to be that several people still have problems
with the driver though, so I'd like to stress two things:

1.  Make sure that you always have the latest source code from
http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/HDA/ since the code is updated on a
daily basis (the directory is hidden by the index file, so date, size
etc does not reflect the true nature of the files there).

2.  Join #freebsd-azalia @ freenode and describe your problem.  Email is
a good way to communicate, but discussing bug reports and testing
patches in real-time on IRC is a lot more efficient.

--
Joel