Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2007 17:54:20 -0700
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        Don Lewis <truckman@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, samflanker@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: fsck of large volume with small memory

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 16:30 -0700, Don Lewis wrote:
> On 24 Sep, sam wrote:
> > hi, all
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-June/151686.html
> >
> > my problem
> > # fsck /dev/aacd0s1f
> > ** /dev/aacd0s1f (NO WRITE)
> > ** Last Mounted on /usr
> > ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> > fsck_ufs: cannot alloc 2378019004 bytes for inoinfo
>
> I'd be willing to bet that one of the cylinder group blocks in your file
> system got corrupted.
>
> > any solutions ?
>
> The patch below should allow a manual fsck to run to completion. I'd
> recommend running "fsck -N" and capturing its output.  Then use the clri
> command (either standalone or in fsdb) to zero out the uninitialized
> inodes that are unmasked by setting cg_initediblk to its maximum
> possible value based on the file system parameters.
>
> Expect major file system lossage ...

You might also want to try ports/sysutils/ffsrecov2 before you run this
fsck.  It might allow you to recover data that would otherwise be lost.
(Like, say, if there are directories hidden beneath the corrupt inode.)
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com     http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/