Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:25:02 +0100
From:      Julien Cigar <jcigar@ulb.ac.be>
To:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for a Good FreeBSD and General Unix Backup System

If you're looking for something "serious" (I mean with
incremental/differential/full backups, retension periods, pools, multi
platform, tape/file/dvd support, ...) I highly suggest Bacula
(http://www.bacula.org).

I use it successfully at work since two years (we used Amanda before) to
backup 10+ machines (FreeBSD and Linux mainly)

best regards,
Julien

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 16:30 -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	Several months ago, I started using dar to backup a
> number of FreeBSD and Linux systems to one FreeBSD box. It
> worked fine once one got the syntax of the remote commands
> working, but then it all died when I moved it to a new
> FreeBSD6.3 system.
>
> 	If I can't figure out what is wrong or whether it is
> worth fixing, I am going to have to find some other archiver so
> we can get good backups and trust them to be easily restored.
>
> 	What we plan to do is backup a bunch of Unix systems to
> one FreeBSD box and then use a commercial package to back that
> box up to an enterprise-wide system we use. The archiver we need
> must be able to make 1 full backup of each system like tar and
> then incrementals until we are ready for another full backup.
>
> 	Any suggestions as to what is best? Dar seemed to be
> okay until the incrementals would hang each time with some error
> messages about the format version being too high which is bogus
> because we are using the same version for all the effected
> systems.
>
> 	The archive files should use tar or some other common
> storage method so we could unpack an archive from a Linux system
> in to a FreeBSD directory or vice versa.
>
> 	Any backup packages using tar would be fine as long as
> they can do incremental backups and use ssh as the transport.
>
> 	Any ideas are appreciated.
>
> 	Thank you.
>
> Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
> Systems Engineer
> OSU Information Technology Department Telecommunications Services Group
Julien Cigar
Belgian Biodiversity Platform
http://www.biodiversity.be
Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
Campus de la Plaine CP 257
Bâtiment NO, Bureau 4 N4 115C (Niveau 4)
Boulevard du Triomphe, entrée ULB 2
B-1050 Bruxelles
Mail: jcigar@ulb.ac.be
@biobel: http://biobel.biodiversity.be/person/show/471