Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 01:25:26 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freefall.cdrom.com, pst@shockwave.com
Subject:   Re: Changed information for PR misc/278

> /etc/netstart is bloated and broken.  It used to be possible to run
> it independently of /etc/rc.  This was useful for starting network
> interfaces from the single user shell.  Now it wants to start lots
> of network daemons from unmounted partitions.

Well, it also seems to be something of a sacred cow around here and I
got flamed when I tried to significantly alter it.  I've really no
immediate idea as to how to restructure the thing, and there's a lot
to be said for adding a `NETWORKED=[yes|no]' that possibly even turns
most of this stuff OFF for situations where the machine *isn't even on
a network and never will be*.  Has anyone stopped to consider this
case?  We've always just barreled along and never even really given
the user the opportunity to easily deselect what might be an entirely
gratuitous set of daemons..

Sigh..  I think it must be said: Most of /etc is a mess, it always has
been a mess and all I've ever seen other operating systems do with it
is make it a more *convoluted* mess (SVR4 - gag me!).  What's the
cool, killer paradigm shift we're missing here? :-)

					Jordan