Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 15:48:10 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, sthaug@nethelp.no, dannyman@sasquatch.dannyland.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Fund

>   What about a special net subscription, which gives you a login id and
> password for a FTP/WWW server that gives you guarrenteed access?  I hate
> it when I need to get something (last time was a copy of committlogs to
> see what had changes in libc_r), and ftp.freebsd.org is full.

Hmmm.  I'd sooner set up another FTP server - I really don't want to
get into anything which creates a set of "haves and have-nots", even
if the haves have spent money for it, since things start to get a
little dubious at that point.  A one-time gift for a donation is one
thing, but as soon as you start having FreeBSD more accessible to
those who've paid or put special features in it that only paid
customers can have (modulo 3rd party stuff where you've no choice),
people start wondering whether you're a free software project anymore.

I'm not denying the potential value of this to frustrated "I can't get
into ftp.freebsd.org and I paid them ten bucks!" customers, I'm simply
saying that we have to be careful.  If people are having serious
trouble in getting the bits then we simply need to get more boxes
built and shipped off to various sympathetic ISPs.  Perhaps FreeBSD,
Inc.  can look into doing that with some of its funds if this is a
serious problem.

>   Also, another subscription service that would interesting in binary
> patchkits via the net.  Send out e-mail to paying members notifying of
> them of significant patch kits available, and provide a single command

*shudder*. :-)

Again, I can see the value in it but it would be a hellish job for such
a person.  I'll keep it in mind but not too much in mind. :)

					Jordan