Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:43:49 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        David Murphy <drjolt@redbrick.dcu.ie>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Voxware is toast. Get used to it. (Re: Suggestions for improving newpcm performance?)

> The problem is, -RELEASE is pushed out like a new release of a
> commercial OS, with big announcements, etc. etc., so people expect it
> to have been subject to a similar level of prerelease beta testing.
> Clearly this is not and cannot be the case, and IMHO therefore it
> should not be labeled -RELEASE, but -EARLYACCESS or similar.

Actually, the problem is that we ARE now doing good quality "dot-zero"
releases and all our old quotes about how bleeding edge they are now
comes back to haunt us.  I challenge you to find anything about 4.0
which is inherently less stable or usable than, say, 3.4.  We've
come a long way and probably need to stop scaring people off from
our releases.  We didn't do a 30 day code freeze this time for nothing
you know!

- Jordan