Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:20:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emulators/wine64: Questions re self-maintained port

Hi David, thanks for answering.

First-off, I seem to have mis-understood the available downloads. I thought
that wine-1.5.x-freebsd10 was a source file when it2s a pkgng-ready binary -
so I just did "pkg add" to the file, it installed and it is working. Thanks
for that.

My questions in the first post (although they have become somewhat
irrelevant at this point) were about:

* self-maintained port is; let's say you found some source code you want to
try but it's not in the ports tree - you can create your own port for it and
compile it as if it were in the ports tree. So it's actually a bit similar
to what your diff script does.

* By options I very simply meant things like MASTER_SITES, IGNORE_SHA_ERROR,
etc. I have absolutely no experience in writng a Makefile...

One thing I did find strange when I installed the wine*tbz, was that the
install script detected the video card as Nvidia. In fact, the card is a
Radeon HD 4200 (r600 driver). I'm also using Xorg from trunk, not ports.
make.conf has "WITHOUT_NOUVEAU=yes". Will this error hamper 3D performance?
"Installing wine-fbsd64-1.5.24,1...A NVIDIA GRAPHICS DRIVER HAS BEEN
DETECTED ON THIS SYSTEM AND THE AUTOMATED
PATCHING HAS FAILED, execute (as root)
	sh /usr/local/share/wine/patch-nvidia.sh
to get 2D/3D acceleration to work with the nvidia driver.  Without this wine
will crash when a program requires 2D/3D graphics acceleration."

Thanks and Regards.