Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 1999 20:41:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Anthony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        van.woerkom@netcologne.de
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tee-ing a sound stream

Quoth Marc van Woerkom on Sun, 19 September:
:
: Sounds like a generic audio-tee driver would make sense, that
: a program writes to, and that iself would pass on data to a file
: and a true audio driver.

Having wanted to do this for some time, I have formed opinions about
how this should be done -- if you are interested: I think it should be
done as a device which passes calls on to the existing pcm driver.
Make an ioctl which allows one to pass a descriptor to the audio-tee
device.  The ioctl should be sticky, i.e.  should survive closes, so
that an aucontrol program can start/stop recording.  By passing a
descriptor, you make it script-able and allow it to interoperate with
sockets, &c.  For example, if I want to send all the decoded pcm data
to a tcp port, I can use netcat to make that port stdout, and the
yet-to-be-written aucontrol program to pass a descriptor for the
socket to the driver.