Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2008 22:14:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simeon Nifos <archwndas@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 7.0 RC1 AMD64 freezes when compiling in ext2fs partition

Hello,

I would like to report a strange behaviour of
FreeBSD AMD64 ver. 7.0 RC1. I installed it on a
Laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU. Everything default.
I have an ext2fs partition
where I store all installed compilers and libraries.
I changed directory to my ext3 (ext2fs) partition
and I started compiling one of my libraries. The
system Hanged. I repeated the same thing with several
other libraries (ATLAS(BLAS), LAPACK, ...) and

everytime
the system hanged. Then I copied the sources to /usr
and I compiled them there. No problem. Everything was
fine
there.

There was a similar problem in the past and it was supposed to be fixed in 6.2. Maybe now for some reason it came back to life. It is very easy to repeat. Just mount an ext2fs partition copy some large source code and try to compile it there.

Best,
Simeon.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?