Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 00:15:44 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@worldbank.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Amazing :-)

"Alok K. Dhir" wrote in message ID
<Pine.NEB.3.96.980310221303.22043A-100000@shadow.worldbank.org>:

> I just enabled softupdates on all filesystems except root on my SMP
> -current machine (dual 300Mhz Pentium II, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 256MB RAM).
> The "make world" time just went from ~6 hours to 2 hours 20 mins.

Are you sure thats not a 486 DX2 66 in disguise? A dual 300 MHz PII
should do a make world (even with no filesystem optimization options
enabled) in under 2 hours EASILY (unless your /usr/obj is a magneto-
optical drive). 6 hours is about the par for a 486, from what I
remember of the good old days of my doing test builds of pre-2.0 on
thud.cdrom.com :)

Gary ( who is more than slightly glad that we now have computers more powerful
       than thud to play with :-) )